THELUS MILITARY CEMETERY
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 266 Find these casualties
- Region Pas de Calais
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.36131, Longitude: 2.78845
Thelus is a village in the Department of the Pas-de-Calais, west of the N17 Arras-Lens main road and 6.5 kilometres north of Arras. Thelus Military Cemetery is approximately 300 metres west of the N17, located in the open country, about 50 metres north of Thelus village.
Wheelchair access is possible with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries department on telephone number 01628 634221.
The village, which stands on the Vimy Ridge, was captured by the Canadian Corps on the 9th April 1917, and it remained in British hands until the end of the War. The oldest part of Thelus Military Cemetery is a large grave, originally called "CB 8"* and now forming Plot II, which was made after the capture of the Ridge. The remaining Plots were made by fighting units from June 1917 to September 1918, except for Plot IV and part of Plot V, which were brought in from the battlefields of Vimy and Thelus after the Armistice. There are now nearly 300, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 30 are unidentified. The cemetery covers an area of 1,459 square metres and the access path an additional area of 357 square metres. It is enclosed by a red brick wall. *The numerous groups of graves made about this time by the Canadian Corps Burial Officer were, as a rule, not named, but serially lettered and numbered.