MEERUT MILITARY CEMETERY, ST. MARTIN-LES-BOULOGNE
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 337 Find these casualties
- Region Pas de Calais
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.73205, Longitude: 1.62412
St.Martin-Boulogne is a commune in the Department of the Pas-de-Calais adjoining the north-east side of the town of Boulogne. From the Mairie in St Martin head north on the rue Colonne. Where the road becomes a one-way system (after 500 metres) turn left onto Rue Pasteur. At the end of this road turn right onto Rue Moliere. Continue to the end of this road and then turn left onto the cemetery access road.
Enquiries may also be made at:
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
France Area Office
Rue Angele Richard
Tel: 03 21 21 77 00
The Meerut Stationary Hospital was established at Boulogne from October 1914, when the Indian Corps arrived in France, to November 1915, when they left; the Cemetery is named after the hospital. The majority of the Egyptian labourers buried here were killed in the air raid over Boulogne on the night of 4-5 September 1917. The cemetery contains 339 burials and commemorations of the First World War, including a memorial to 32 officers and men of the Indian Army, whose bodies were cremated in the cemetery in 1915. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.