Rifle House Cemetery
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 229 Find these casualties
- Region Hainaut
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.73582, Longitude: 2.90057
Rifle House Cemetery is located 12.5 Kms south of Ieper town centre, on a road leading from the Rijselseweg N365, which connects Ieper to Wijtschate and on to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg. 2 Kms after Mesen lies the left hand turning onto Rue St.Yvon. Immediately after passing Prowse Point Military Cemetery lies a right hand turning onto a small road track (unsuitable for vehicles). 1.5 Kms after this junction lies the cemetery, on the track leading into the wood.
This cemetery is located in the wood at Ploegsteert and access is only possible via a track in the woods to which motor vehicles are not allowed - a post is in position preventing vehicle access. If disabled visitors or wheelchair users cannot get to this cemetery without being driven by car, they should contact our office in Ieper well in advance of their visit - Telephone (057) 22 36 36, so that arrangements can be made with our local staff to open up the track.
Wheelchair access possible via main entrance.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Department on telephone number: 01628 634221
Rifle House Cemetery was named from a strong point, of which no trace now exists. The earliest graves are those of the 1st Rifle Brigade in Plot IV, Rows E to J, beginning in November 1914. The latest are from June 1916. The cemetery was in German hands from 10 April to 29 September 1918. Rifle House Cemetery contains 230 First World War burials. The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.