Torreken Farm Cemetery No.1
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 105 Find these casualties
- Region West-Vlaanderen
- Identified casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.78217, Longitude: 2.89217
Torreken Farm Cemetery No.1 is located 7.5 Kms south of Ieper town centre, on the Langebunderstraat, a road leading from the Rijselseweg N365, connecting Ieper to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg. Just beyond the village of Wijtschate, Langebunderstraat is located by turning left from the N365. The cemetery itself is located 200 metres along the Langebunderstraat on the left hand side of the road.
Visitors should note that access to the site is via a field often used by livestock and is unsuitable for vehicles and wheelchairs.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Department on telephone number: 01628 634221
Wytschaete (now Wijtschate) was taken by the Germans early in November 1914. It was recovered by Commonwealth forces during the Battle of Messines on 7 June 1917, but fell into German hands once more on 16 April 1918. The village was recovered for the last time on 28 September.
Torreken Farm Cemetery (there is now only one) was begun by the 5th Dorset Regiment in June 1917 and used as a front line cemetery until April 1918.
The cemetery contains 90 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 14 German war graves.
The cemetery was designed by W C Von Berg.