AMARA (LEFT BANK) INDIAN WAR CEMETERY
- Country Iraq
- Total identified casualties 9 Find these casualties
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 31.84377, Longitude: 47.16001
Amara is a town on the left bank of the Tigris, some 520 kilometres from the sea. Amara (Left Bank) Indian War Cemetery will be found a little east of the town between the left bank of the river and the Chahaila Canal.
NOTE: Whilst the current climate of political instability persists it is extremely challenging for the Commission to manage or maintain its cemeteries and memorials located within Iraq. Alternative arrangements for commemoration have therefore been implemented and a two volume Roll of Honour listing all casualties buried and commemorated in Iraq has been produced. These volumes are on display at the Commission's Head Office in Maidenhead and are available for the public to view.
The Commission continues to monitor the situation in Iraq and once the political climate has improved to an acceptable level the Commission will commence a major rehabilitation project for its cemeteries and commemorations.
Before considering a visit to Iraq the Commission strongly recommends that you check the advice given by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office on the travel section of their website:
Amara was occupied by the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force on 3 June 1915 and it immediately became a hospital centre. The accommodation for medical units on both banks of the Tigris was greatly increased during 1916 and in April 1917, seven general hospitals and some smaller units were stationed there. Amara (Left Bank) Indian War Cemetery was made after the occupation and contains about 5,000 burials of the First World War. However, no comprehensive records were kept and the graves of only nine casaulties, all of whom died after November 1918, are identified.