Premont British Cemetery
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 563 Find these casualties
- Region Aisne
- Identified casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.00393, Longitude: 3.41505
Premont is a village some 19.5 kilometres south-east of Cambrai on the road to Guise and a little south-east of the main straight road from St. Quentin to Le Cateau. Premont British Cemetery is 1.5 kilometres south-east of the village on the south side of the road to Bohain.
Wheelchair access to the cemetery is possible via the main entrance.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.
Premont village was captured by the 30th American Division on the 8th October 1918. Premont British Cemetery was made and used by four Casualty Clearing Stations (the 20th, 50th, 55th and 61st), which came to Bohain in October 1918, and it was closed in the following December. Some years later 165 graves were added to it from the following sites:-
BOHAIN STATION MILITARY CEMETERY, which was on the West side of the cross-road immediately West of Bohain railway station. It was made by the German forces, but one plot of 47 graves was added by the 11th Essex and other British units in October 1918. It contained in all 806 German graves, 155 British, 14 Russian, 12 French, one Italian and one Romanian.
SEBONCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY, which contained the graves of six soldiers from the United Kingdom buried by German forces in January, March and April 1918.
Four from a site near Honnechy.
This cemetery contains the graves of 536 Commonwealth casualties of the First World War, eight of which are unidentified. There are also 36 German casualties buried here, two of which are unidentified.
The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.