NEUVE-CHAPELLE BRITISH CEMETERY
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 47 Find these casualties
- Region Pas de Calais
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.58612, Longitude: 2.778
From La Bassee take the Estaires road, D947, for approximately 5 kilometres, then turn right along the D171 for 1 kilometre until entering Neuve Chapelle. Turn left after the church and then right after 200 metres onto a rough track where the Cemetery will be found on the left hand side.
Wheelchair access possible via main entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.
The village has given its name to the battle which began on the 10th March, 1915, and in which it was captured, not for the first time, by the IV and Indian Corps. It was later "adopted" by the County Borough of Blackpool. Neuve-Chapelle British Cemetery was begun during the Battle of Neuve-Chapelle and used until the following November. The Cemetery was known at one time as Moggs Hole Cemetery. There are now over 50, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified and special memorials are erected to six soldiers from the United Kingdom known to be buried in these graves. Other special memorials record the names of five soldiers from the United Kingdom, buried in Neuve-Chapelle Churchyard, whose graves were destroyed by shell-fire. The Cemetery covers an area of 452 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall.