AVESNES-LE-COMTE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 336 Find these casualties
- Region Pas de Calais
- Casualties from First & Second World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.27936, Longitude: 2.52337
Avesnes-le-Comte is a large village in the Department of the Pas-de-Calais, approximately 20 Kms west of Arras and 18 Kms south-east of St. Pol. The Communal Cemetery lies on the CD8 between the road to Manin and a side road called "Petit chemin de Manin" on the north-west side of the village and the extension is on the western side of it.
Wheelchair access is possible via the main entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.
The village of Avesnes-le-Comte was for some time the VI Corps headquarters. The 37th and 30th Casualty Clearing Stations were there from April 1916, the 42nd in June 1916, and the 41st in January 1917. The communal cemetery contains 2 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, both made in April 1916. Thereafter, burials were made in the extension, which contains 333 graves, 4 of which are unidentified. Most of these were from the 37th CCS which stayed in the village until July 1917. The Extension also contains 4 Second World War burials. The Extension was designed by Charles Holden.