BELGIAN BATTERY CORNER CEMETERY
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 568 Find these casualties
- Region West-Vlaanderen
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.83928, Longitude: 2.86147
Belgian Battery Corner Cemetery is located 2 Km south west of Ieper town centre, on a road called Omloopstraat, a road leading from the Dikkebusseweg. From Ieper town centre the Dikkebusseweg (N375), is reached via Elverdingestraat, straight over a roundabout onto Capronstraat (for 30 metres), then left along Fochlaan. Immediately after the train station, the first right hand turning is the Dikkebusseweg. 1.5 Km along the Dikkebusseweg is the right hand turning onto the Frezenbergstraat. 200 metres further on the right hand side is Omloopstraat. The cemetery is located immediately on the right hand side of the Omloopstraat.
Wheelchair access possible via main entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number 01628 507200.
This cemetery occupies a site at a road junction where three batteries of Belgian artillery were positioned in 1915. The cemetery was begun by the 8th Division in June 1917 after the Battle of Messines (although one grave in Plot III, Row A, predates this) and it was used until October 1918, largely for burials from a dressing station in a cottage near by. Almost half of the graves are of casualties who belonged, or were attached, to artillery units. There are now 573 First World War casualties buried or commemorated in this cemetery. Seven of the burials are unidentified and special memorials commemorate three casualties known to have been buried in the cemetery, but whose graves could not be located. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.