HYDE PARK CORNER (ROYAL BERKS) CEMETERY
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 85 Find these casualties
- Region Hainaut
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.73765, Longitude: 2.88251
Hyde Park Corner (Royal Berks) Cemetery is located 12.5 km south of Ieper town centre, on the Rijselseweg (N365), a road connecting Ieper to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg. The cemetery lies 12.5 km along the N365 after passing through the settlements of Wijtschate and Mesen. The cemetery is located on the left hand side of the road and opposite the prominent Ploegsteert Memorial.
Wheelchair access possible via main entrance.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number 01628 507200
Hyde Park Corner was a road junction to the north of Ploegsteert Wood. Hill 63 was to the north-west and nearby were the 'Catacombs', deep shelters capable of holding two battalions, which were used from November 1916 onwards. The cemetery was begun in April 1915 by the 1st/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment and was used at intervals until November 1917. It contains 83 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and four German war graves. BERKS CEMETERY EXTENSION is separated from Hyde Park Corner Cemetery by a road. The extension was begun in June 1916 and used continuously until September 1917. At the Armistice, the extension comprised Plot I only, but Plots II and III were added in 1930 when graves were brought in from ROSENBERG CHATEAU MILITARY CEMETERY and EXTENSION, about 1 Km to the north-west, when it was established that these sites could not be acquired in perpetuity. Rosenberg Chateau Military Cemetery was used by fighting units from November 1914 to August 1916. The extension was begun in May 1916 and used until March 1918. Together, the cemetery and extension were sometimes referred to as 'Red Lodge'. Berks Cemetery Extension now contains 876 First World War burials. Within Berks Cemetery Extension stands the PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL, commemorating more than 11,000 Commonwealth servicemen who died in this sector during the First World War and have no known grave. The memorial serves the area from the line Caestre-Dranoutre-Warneton to the north, to Haverskerque-Estaires-Fournes to the south, including the towns of Hazebrouck, Merville, Bailleul and Armentieres, the Forest of Nieppe, and Ploegsteert Wood. Those commemorated by the memorial did not die in major offensives, such as those which took place around Ypres to the north, or Loos to the south. Most were killed in the course of the day-to-day trench warfare which characterised this part of the line, or in small scale set engagements, usually carried out in support of the major attacks taking place elsewhere. The cemetery, cemetery extension and memorial were designed by H. Chalton Bradshaw.