Cemetery details

ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN

Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN Print this image
Print page

Country:
France
Locality:
Seine-Maritime
Identified Casualties:
3080

Location Information

St Sever Cemetery and St Sever Cemetery Extension are located within a large communal cemetery situated on the eastern edge of the southern Rouen suburbs of Le Grand Quevilly and Le Petit Quevilly.

If approaching Rouen from the north, head for the centre of town and cross over the river Seine, following signs for Caen. Follow this route until you get to the 'Rond Point des Bruyeres' roundabout (next to the football stadium), then take the first exit into the Boulevard Stanislas Girardin. The cemetery is 150 metres down this road on the left.

If approaching Rouen from the south, follow the N138 (Avenue des Canadiens) towards the centre of town. At the 'Rond Point des Bruyeres' roundabout (next to the football stadium), take the fourth exit into the Boulevard Stanislas Girardin. The cemetery is 150 metres down this road on the left.

If arriving on foot, the easiest option is to take the N°7 bus, which runs from Rouges Terres in the north of the city, through the centre (several stops, including the Hôtel de Ville), to Zénith Park Expo in the south. From the city centre, take the bus for Zénith Park Expo, alighting at the Rond-point des Bruyères (sports stadia). From the roundabout, walk WNW into Boulevard Stanislas Girardin. The cemetery entrance is 150 metres down this road on the left.

Visiting Information

OPENING TIMES

1 March - 1 November:
Monday-Saturday: 0815 - 1745
Sundays/Public Holidays : 0815 - 1745

2 November-28 February:
Every Day: 0815 - 1645

Historical Information

During the First World War, Commonwealth camps and hospitals were stationed on the southern outskirts of Rouen. A base supply depot and the 3rd Echelon of General Headquarters were also established in the city.

Almost all of the hospitals at Rouen remained there for practically the whole of the war. They included eight general, five stationary, one British Red Cross, one labour hospital, and No. 2 Convalescent Depot. A number of the dead from these hospitals were buried in other cemeteries, but the great majority were taken to the city cemetery of St. Sever. In September 1916, it was found necessary to begin an extension.

St. Sever Cemetery contains 3,082 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. There is also 1 French burial and 1 non war service burial here.

The Commonwealth plots were designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.