ST. AUBERT BRITISH CEMETERY
ST. AUBERT BRITISH CEMETERY
- Identified Casualties:
St. Aubert is a village in the Department of the Nord, approximately 13 kilometres east of Cambrai.
From Cambrai follow the D942 road towards Solesmes. About 12 kilometres from Cambrai and just after Avesnes les Aubert, turn left onto the D297 towards St Aubert. After approximately 2 kilometres turn left onto the D97 road towards Avesnes les Aubert. The British Cemetery is about 800 metres down this road on the right.
Wheelchair access is possible with some difficulty.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries department on telephone number 01628 634221.
The cemetery was begun by the 24th Division on 12 October 1918, just after the capture of the village. Other units continued to use it until 23 October, by which time it contained 33 graves of the 3rd Rifle Brigade and 24 others, most of the current Plot I. After the Armistice, over 370 graves were brought in from the battlefields of Cambrai (November-December 1917) and Cambrai and the Selle (October 1918) and from the following smaller cemeteries in the area:-
AVESNES-LE-SEC COMMUNAL CEMETERY and GERMAN EXTENSION, which contained the graves of two airmen and one soldier buried by the enemy and three Highland soldiers buried by their comrades.
AVESNES-LES-AUBERT COMMUNAL CEMETERY, which contained the graves of 34 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in the period 11th October-2nd November 1918; and the GERMAN EXTENSION (of about 400 graves), in which 17 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Canada were buried from a German Feldlazarett, November 1917-September 1918.
PAILLENCOURT GERMAN CEMETERY, which contained 31 German graves and one British.
PRAYELLE FARM MILITARY CEMETERY, VIESLY, between the villages of Viesly and Bethencourt, in which one British soldier was buried by the enemy in August, 1914. Twenty-three soldiers from the United Kingdom and four from New Zealand were interred here in November 1918, almost all by the 42nd (East Lancashire) Divisional Burial Officer.
RIEUX BRITISH CEMETERY, on the Eastern outskirts of Rieux-en Cambresis, in which 17 soldiers of the 1st Royal Fusiliers were buried by their Battalion, with one soldier of the Middlesex Regiment, on the 14th October 1918.
RIEUX-EN-CAMBRESIS COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, in which two airmen from the United Kingdom, who fell in September 1918, were buried by the enemy, and four soldiers from the United Kingdom, who fell in October, by their units.
ST. AUBERT COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, which contained one British grave.
STATION ROAD CEMETERY, ST. AUBERT, between St. Aubert village and Avesnes-les-Aubert station, in which were buried 12 men of the 3rd Rifle Brigade, eight Gunners, and two other soldiers, all of whom fell in October 1918.
The cemetery now contains 435 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 41 of the burials are unidentified but there is a special memorial to one casualty believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials commemorate three casualties known to have been buried in Avesnes-le-Sec Communal Cemetery, St. Aubert Communal Cemetery German Extension and Paillencourt German Cemetery, whose graves could not be found.
The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.