Skip to content

Cemetery Details

ANNEUX BRITISH CEMETERY

Print page
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
123
ANNEUX BRITISH CEMETERY Print this image


Country:
France
Locality:
Nord
Identified Casualties:
554
GPS
CO-Ordinates:
Longitude:
3.12673
Latitude:
50.15972

Location Information

Anneux is a village in the Department of the Nord, a little to the south of the main road from Cambrai to Bapaume.

The Cemetery is 200 metres from the junction of the N30 and D15

Visiting Information

Wheelchair access to this cemetery is possible, but may be by alternative entrance.

For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.

Historical Information

Anneux, Havrincourt and Graincourt were captured by the 62nd (West Riding) Division on 20 and 21 November 1917. Anneux remained in Allied hands until the following 6 December. It was recaptured on 27 September 1918, by the 57th (West Lancashire) and 63rd (Royal Naval) Divisions, acting with the 52nd (Lowland) and the 1st and 4th Canadian Divisions. These six divisions, with the New Zealand Division (which carried on the advance in October 1918), are most largely represented in the cemetery.

The original cemetery was made by the 57th Division Burial Officer and by various units in October 1918. At the Armistice it contained 131 graves but was then greatly increased when graves were brought in from the surrounding battlefields and small cemeteries in the area, including:-

DELMADGE CEMETERY, FONTAINE-NOTRE DAME, 900 metres North-East of the railway station, contained the graves of Lieut. R.B. Delmadge and 23 other Canadian soldiers who fell in September and October, 1918.
FLOT FARM CEMETERY, MARCOING, on the South side of a farm nearly 1.6 Kms West of Rumilly village. Thirty-four soldiers of the 2nd O.B.L.I., who fell on the 1st October, were buried there in one grave.

Anneux British Cemetery now contains 1,013 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 459 of the burials are unidentified but special memorials commemorate seven casualties believed to be buried among them.

The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.