- Identified Casualties:
The 1939-45 War Memorial, erected by the Government of Botswana in front of the Legislative Council building in Gaborone, is made of grey granite and consists of a three-sided obelisk five metres high and stands on a paved platform approached by steps. Affixed to the front face is a cast bronze rifle.
The base of the obelisk bears bronze name panels on which are recorded the names of 105 soldiers of Botswana (including four who were serving in the South African forces) who died in that country during the 1939-1945 War and whose graves could not be maintained, 6 men of Botswana who were lost at sea when the S.S. ERINPURA was sunk in 1943 and 49 of those who died in Egypt and who have no known grave. Other Botswana servicemen who died during the war are commemorated by the Commission elsewhere.
In addition, a soldier of the South African forces buried in Francistown Cemetery and a soldier of the 1914-1918 War, buried in Quagganai Police Camp, whose graves could not be maintained, are also commemorated on this Memorial.
A large factory site in Lovatse, which had been taken over by No 203 British Military Mission, became, in 1941, the Bechuanaland Depot of the Pioneer Corps from where 10,000 recruits were trained for service overseas.