ANZIO WAR CEMETERY
ANZIO WAR CEMETERY
- Identified Casualties:
Anzio is a coastal town 70 kilometres south of Rome. To reach Anzio take the No.148 Superstrada Motorway which runs between Rome and Latina. Take the exit for Anzio and follow the signs towards Anzio along the No.207.
The Cemetery lies 1 kilometre north of Anzio town just off the No.207. As the No.207 approaches Anzio an Italian Communal Cemetery is visible on a small rise to the left of the road. Turn left and drive up a small rise to a parking area in front of the cemetery entrance. Commission signs are visible.
Anzio War Cemetery should not be confused with Beach Head Cemetery which is also close to Anzio town. Beach Head Cemetery lies on the No.207, 5 kilometres north of Anzio town, and can be seen on the left hand side of the road when taking the No.207 towards Anzio.
Cemetery address: Via del Cimitero - 00042 Anzio (RM) Lazio.
GPS Co-ordinates: Latitude: 41.455473, Longitude: 12.623178.
The cemetery is permanently open and may be visited anytime.
Wheelchair access to the site is possible via an alternative entrance. For further information and enquiries please contact email@example.com
On 3 September 1943 the Allies invaded the Italian mainland, the invasion coinciding with an armistice made with the Italians who then re-entered the war on the Allied side.
Progress through southern Italy was rapid despite stiff resistance, but by the end of October, the Allies were facing the German winter defensive position known as the Gustav Line, which stretched from the river Garigliano in the west to the Sangro in the east. Initial attempts to breach the western end of the line were unsuccessful. Operations in January 1944 landed troops behind the German lines at Anzio, but defences were well organised, and a breakthrough was not actually achieved until May.
The site for this cemetery was selected not long after the landings at Anzio and the burials here date from the period immediately following the landings.
Anzio War Cemetery contains 1,056 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War.
The cemetery was designed by Louis de Soissons.