Skip to content

Cemetery Details

GUISE (LA DESOLATION) FRENCH NATIONAL CEMETERY, FLAVIGNY-LE-PETIT

Print page
GUISE (LA DESOLATION) FRENCH NATIONAL CEMETERY, FLAVIGNY-LE-PETIT Print this image


Country:
France
Locality:
Aisne
Identified Casualties:
42
GPS
CO-Ordinates:
Longitude:
3.6293
Latitude:
49.87619

Location Information

Guise is a small and historic town in the Department of the Aisne, on the River Oise, 27 kilometres north-east of St Quentin.

The Cemetery (Cimetiere National Mixte de la Desolation) is approximately 4 kilometres south of the town on the Marle road in the neighbouring commune of Flavigny-le-Petit.

Historical Information

Guise has given its name to the battle of the 29th-30th August, 1914, between the French Fifth Army and the Germans. It was retaken by French troops on the 4th November, 1918.

The National Cemetery was begun by the Germans in 1914, and, enlarged after the Armistice.

There are now nearly 50, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified and three special memorials are erected to soldiers known or believed to be buried among them and another to a United Kingdom soldier buried in Guise Communal Cemetery whose grave could not be found.