Skip to content

Cemetery Details

ST. MARTIN CALVAIRE BRITISH CEMETERY, ST. MARTIN-SUR-COJEUL

Print page
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
123
ST. MARTIN CALVAIRE BRITISH CEMETERY, ST. MARTIN-SUR-COJEUL Print this image


Country:
France
Locality:
Pas de Calais
Identified Casualties:
223

Location Information

St. Martin-sur-Cojeul is a village about 8 kilometres south-south-east of Arras on the road from Henin to Heninel, just west of the motorway to Lille. The Cemetery is to the south of the village.

Visiting Information

The location or design of this cemetery makes wheelchair access impossible. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.

Historical Information

The village of St. Martin-sur-Cojeul was taken by the 30th Division on 9 April 1917. It was lost in March 1918 but retaken in the following August.

St. Martin Calvaire British Cemetery was named from a calvary which was destroyed during the war. It was begun by units of the 30th Division in April 1917 and used until March 1918. Plot II was made in August and September 1918.

The cemetery contains 228 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, five of them unidentified. There are also three German graves within the cemetery.

The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.