Cemetery details

LANCASHIRE COTTAGE CEMETERY

Casualty Record Detail
1
LANCASHIRE COTTAGE CEMETERY Print this image
Print page

Country:
Belgium
Locality:
Comines-Warneton, Hainaut
Identified Casualties:
253

Location Information

Lancashire Cottage Cemetery is located 13.5 Kms south of Ieper town centre on a road leading from the N365 connecting Ieper to Wijtschate, Mesen, Ploegsteert and on to Armentieres.

From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg.

On reaching the village of Ploegsteert the first left hand turning leads onto the rue de Ploegsteert. The cemetery lies 1 Km along the rue de Ploegsteert on the right hand side of the road.

Visiting Information

Wheelchair access with some difficulty.

For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Department on telephone number: 01628 634221

Historical Information

Lancashire Cottage Cemetery was begun by the 1st East Lancashire (who have 84 graves in it) and the 1st Hampshire (who have 56) in November 1914. It was used as a front line cemetery until March 1916 and occasionally later. The cemetery was in German hands from 10 April to 29 September 1918 and they made a few burials in it during that spring and summer.

The cemetery contains 256 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. There are also 13 German war graves.

The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.