Skip to content

Cemetery Details

# Cemetery Information

FRANCE - AUTHUILE MILITARY CEMETERY

In order to ensure security at the commemorative events taking place on 1 July 2016, marking the centenary of the First Day of the Battle of the Somme, French Authorities will be enforcing a security cordon in the area prohibiting access to all except those who are attending one of the events. The cordon may be subject to change by the French authorities. A map showing the security cordon and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission sites we expect to be inaccessible as a result of the cordon from mid-afternoon on 30 June until early morning on 2 July.

AUTHUILE MILITARY CEMETERY

Print page
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
123
AUTHUILE MILITARY CEMETERY Print this image


Country:
France
Locality:
Somme
Identified Casualties:
434

Location Information

Authuile (now Authuille), is a village 5 Kms north of Albert. Authuile Military Cemetery is on the south side of the village. The Cemetery is signposted on the main road (D159) through the village.

Visiting Information

The location or design of this site makes wheelchair access impossible.

For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries department on 01628 634221.

Historical Information

The village was held by British troops from the summer of 1915 to March, 1918, when it was captured in the German Offensive on the Somme; it was ruined by shell fire even before that date.

The Military Cemetery was used by Field Ambulances and fighting units from August, 1915 to December, 1916, and in 1917 and 1918 by Indian Labour Companies.

There are now over 450, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 40 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 18 soldiers from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them. The graves of two other German soldiers have been removed.

The cemetery covers an area of 2,650 square metres and is enclosed by a low concrete curb. The cemetery was named as Authuile Military Cemetery at the time of creation and C.W.G.C. maintain this as the historic name of the cemetery.