PERNES BRITISH CEMETERY
|Region||Pas de Calais|
|Total identified casualties||1096 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
Pernes-en-Artois is a small town on the main road from Lillers to St. Pol. The British Cemetery is nearly one kilometre west of the town on the road to Sains-les-Pernes.
Wheelchair access to this site is possible, but maybe by alternative entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries dept. on 01628 634221.
The cemetery was not begun until April 1918 when the 1st and 4th Canadian Casualty Clearing Stations came to Pernes, driven back by the German advance. In May, the 6th and 22nd Clearing Stations arrived and in August, they were joined by the 13th. Almost all the burials were made by these units, but a few of the graves were brought into the cemetery after the Armistice (Graves 2 to 13 in Plot VI, Row C, were brought from the small British Cemeteries of Anvin and Wavrans). There are now 1,078 First World War burials in this cemetery and 18 graves from the Second World War, all of the latter dating from 3-4 September 1944. There are also 3 non Commonwealth burials here. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.