GAVERE COMMUNAL CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||1 Find these records|
|Casualties from||Second World War|
The village of Gavere is located north-east of the town of Oudenaarde off the N60. From the motorway E40/A10, which runs between Oostende and Brussels, turn off at junction 15 onto the N60, direction Oudenaarde. Follow this road to Asper and at the crossroads turn left into Stationstraat, direction Gavere. Follow this road over the river to the junction and turn right into Kasteeldreef. Go past the church and straight on into Baaigemstraat. Take the first turning left into Kouter and then first right into Eeckhoutstraat. At the fork bear right into Lielareweg. The cemetery is at the end of this street, and the grave is immediately in front of the main entrance.
The British Expeditionary Force was involved in the later stages of the defence of Belgium following the German invasion in May 1940, and suffered many casualties in covering the withdrawal to Dunkirk. Commonwealth forces did not return until September 1944, but in the intervening years, many airmen were shot down or crashed in raids on strategic objectives in Belgium, or while returning from missions over Germany. The Belgian pelouse d'honneur in Gavere Communal Cemetery contains one Commonwealth burial of the Second World War.