AUBERS RIDGE BRITISH CEMETERY, AUBERS
|Total identified casualties||278 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
Aubers is a village about 8 Kms north of La Bassee and 3 Kms north-west of the main road from La Bassee to Lille. From Aubers take the RD173 at the 'T' junction. Turn left towards Fromelles and continue 500 metres to the next junction. Turn right towards Herlies and follow the road for 500 metres when the Cemetery can be found on the left hand side.
Wheelchair access is possible with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries dept. on 01628 634221.
Aubers village was taken by the 9th Brigade on the 17th October, 1914, with Herlies and part of the Ridge, and on the 19th the 2nd Royal Irish took Le Pilly. These gains, however, were lost within a few days, and the Ridge, in spite of repeated attacks, was not captured by British forces for three years. Early in October, 1918, it was secured by the 47th (London) Division. The cemetery was made after the Armistice, by the concentration of graves from the battlefields on all sides of Aubers and the following smaller burial grounds:- CHATEAU-DU-FLANDRE BRITISH CEMETERY, BEAUCAMPS, at the Eastern exit of the great park between Beaucamps and Radinghem. Here were buried 17 men of the 47th (London) Division, who fell in the occupation of Beaucamps on the 4th October, 1918, or immediately after it. WINCHESTER POST MILITARY CEMETERY, RUE-DU-BACQUEROT, LAVENTIE, on the East side of "Winchester Road", which lead from the Rue-du-Bacquerot to Mauquissart. This was one of the many cemeteries made by Indian Corps behind the line from Neuve-Chapelle North-Eastwards. It stood in front of a farm building ("Winchester Post") used as a Dressing Station and Battalion Headquarters. It contained the graves of 120 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one German prisoner, in two plots. It was begun by the 2nd Devons in November, 1914, and used until February, 1916; and three graves were added in 1918. Plot I of Aubers Ridge British Cemetery consists almost entirely of the graves of unidentified Australian soldiers, killed in the Attack at Fromelles on the 19th-20th July, 1916, and Plot II almost entirely of the graves of soldiers of the 61st (South Midland) Division, killed in the same engagement. The succeeding Plots cover also the fighting in October, 1914 (the Battles of La Bassee and Armentieres); the Battle of Neuve-Chapelle (March, 1915); the Battles of Aubers Ridge and Festubert (May, 1915); and the final advance in October, 1918. The last graves (from WINCHESTER POST MILITARY CEMETERY) were brought here in 1925. There are now over 700, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 450 from the 1914-18 War are unidentified and a special memorial is erected to one soldier from the United Kingdom who is believed to be buried among them. The cemetery covers an area of 2,476 square metres and is enclosed by a low curb.