SAILLY-SAILLISEL BRITISH CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||471 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Sailly-Saillisel British Cemetery is 16 kilometres east of Albert and 10 kilometres south of Bapaume. The Cemetery is on the right hand side (direction Peronne) of the N17 just outside of Sailly Saillisel and before Rancourt.
Wheelchair access to this cemetery is possible with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.
Sailly-Saillisel, standing at the north end of a ridge, was the objective of French attacks in September and October 1916, and was captured on 18 October. The village remained in Allied hands until 24 March 1918 when it was lost during the German advance, but was recaptured by the 18th and 38th (Welsh) Division on 1 September 1918. The cemetery was made after the Armistice when graves were brought in isolated positions chiefly south and east of the village and from the following small burial grounds:- ALDERSHOT MILITARY CEMETERY, Bouchavesnes, about 800 metres North of Bouchavesnes village. It contained the graves of 34 soldiers from the United Kingdom, belonging mainly to the 58th (London) Division which took Bouchavesnes on the 1st September 1918; but it had been used also in February and March 1917. CHARING CROSS CEMETERY, Sailly-Saillisel, 800 metres to the South-West. It was made by fighting units in December 1916 -March 1917; and it contained the graves of 46 soldiers from the United Kingdom, of whom 34 belonged to the Foot Guards. HEBULE MILITARY CEMETERY, Sailly-Saillisel, on the South side of the road to Morval, named from a quarry close by. It was made by fighting units in December 1916-1917; and it contained the graves of 30 soldiers from the United Kingdom, of whom 28 belonged to the Foot Guards. MORVAL NEW CEMETERY, on the North side of the Morval-Sailly road just before it crossed a side road to Le Transloy and Combles. It contained the graves of 39 soldiers of the 38th (Welsh) Division who fell on the 31st August - 4th September 1918. The cemetery now contains 771 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 300 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to eight casualties known or believed to be buried among them. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.