NORFOLK CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT
|Total identified casualties||325 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Becordel-Becourt is a village 2.5 kilometres east of Albert on the D938 (Albert-Peronne) road. Follow the C1 north to Becourt, pass under a bridge and Norfolk Cemetery will be found 700 metres along on the east side of the road.
From 5 May 2016 we will start rebuilding the rear wall of this cemetery. During this essential work we will temporarily be removing headstones in Plot II, rows A and B and a temporary tablet commemorating the casualties will be in place for the duration of the works. The cemetery will remain open and all other plots will be accessible for the public. The work should be finished during December 2016. Wheelchair access to this site is possible, but may be by an alternative entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries dept. on 01628 634221.
The cemetery was begun by the 1st Norfolks in August 1915 and used by other units (including the 8th Norfolks) until August 1916. After the Armistice it was nearly doubled in size when graves were brought in from the battlefields near by. Norfolk Cemetery contains 549 First World War burials, 224 being unidentified. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.