SUFFOLK CEMETERY, VIERSTRAAT
|Total identified casualties||39 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Suffolk Cemetery is located 6 Km south west of Ieper town centre, on the Kriekstraat, a road leading from the Kemmelseweg. (Joining Ieper to Kemmel N331). From Ieper town centre the Kemmelseweg is reached via the Rijselsestraat, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort), and straight on towards Armentieres (N365). 900 m after the crossroads is the right hand turning onto the Kemmelseweg. (Made prominent by a railway level crossing). 5 Km along the Kemmelseweg lies the right hand turning onto Vierstraat. 800 metres along the Vierstraat is the left hand turning onto the Kriekstraat; the cemetery is located 50 metres further on the right hand side of the road.
Wheelchair access possible via main entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Department on telephone number: 01628 634221
This cemetery was begun in March and April 1915 by the 2nd Suffolks. Apart from one burial made in November 1917, the cemetery was not used again until October 1918 when the 38th Labour Group buried men killed during the German advance the previous April, all but two of whom belonged to the 1st/4th and 1st/5th York and Lancasters. At this time, it was called Cheapside Cemetery. Suffolk Cemetery contains 47 First World War burials, eight of them unidentified. The cemetery was designed by J R Truelove.