CORFU BRITISH CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||29 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
From Corfu seafront to south of the old town and turn inland onto Alexandras Avenue, which is a big tree lined avenue. At the top of this is Place George Theotoki which contains a roundabout. From this roundabout take the Donatou Dimoulitsa road and then bear left onto Kolokotroni. Please note that if asking for directions that he locals commonly refer to the Cemetery as the "English Cemetery".
For further information and enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The island of Corfu was used during the First World War as a British and United States naval base. A convalescent camp and military hospital were also stationed there. In 1916, the island was used as a rest camp for the Serbian army. Corfu British Cemetery was opened as a military cemetery in about 1855, and contains 13 First World War burials. The 16 Second World War burials are mostly of casualties from destroyers mined in the Corfu channel. The Commission also maintains 438 non-war military and civilian graves in the cemetery including 1 unnamed civilian teacher buried in Plot 3, Grave 20. There is a collective grave containing an unspecified number of unidentified victims of the collision of H.M.S. Orwell in Plot 3, grave 4.