GLASGOW (SANDYMOUNT) CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||182 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
This large cemetery is in the eastern part of Glasgow. By road: take the M74 exiting at junction 2. Turn onto Carmyle Avenue B765 heading north. Follow the road to a T-junction at Shettleston Road turn right then left onto Gartochter Road. From Gartochter Road take the second road on the right, the cemetery is signposted on the left into Gartochter Terrace a narrow residential street. The main entrance to the cemetery is at the end of this road. By public transport: A regular bus service operates from Glasgow Central Station. Bus service 40 travelling in the direction of Easterhouse passes the rear pedestrian entrance of the cemetery on Mansionhouse Drive. The entrance is up five stone steps from the pavement.
During the two world wars, the United Kingdom became an island fortress used for training troops and launching land, sea and air operations around the globe. There are more than 170,000 Commonwealth war graves in the United Kingdom, many being those of servicemen and women killed on active service, or who later succumbed to wounds. Others died in training accidents, or because of sickness or disease. The graves, many of them privately owned and marked by private memorials, will be found in more than 12,000 cemeteries and churchyards. Glasgow was one of the ports of embarkation for the British Expeditionary Force in 1914 and several military hospitals opened in the city during the First World War, including the 3rd and 4th Scottish General (1,200 beds each), and the Merryflats War Hospital (500 beds). Battalions of a number of Scottish regiments had their headquarters at Glasgow during both wars, most notably the Highland Light Infantry. The Clydeside shipyards were targeted by German bombers during the Blitz, and Glasgow suffered a particularly ferocious attack on the night of 13/14 March 1941 when many civilians and servicemen were killed. Glasgow (Sandymount) Cemetery contains 72 scattered burials of the First World War, 110 from the Second World War and one French war grave.