BEIRUT MARONITE CEMETERY (INDIAN SECTION)
|Total identified casualties||43 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
The Maronite Cemetery is in the Sodeco area of Beirut, in the Rue de Cilicie, behind the Jewish Civil Cemetery. It is called the Cimetiere Maronite de Ras-el-Nabah, and it belongs to the Societe Maronite Freres des Pauvres. This site can be found by passing through the front gate and turning right after 30 metres, then left after 20 metres. After a further 10 metres, the site will be visible set against the wall to the right.
For further information and enquiries please contact email@example.com
Beirut was occupied by the 7th (Meerut) Division on the 8th October, 1918, when French Warships were already in the harbour; and the 32nd and 15th Combined Clearing Hospitals were sent to the town. There are now over 40, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, the majority died in October 1918. The Indian Section of the Cemetery covers an area of 32 square metres and is enclosed by a low rubble wall.