Brigadier General PAUL ALOYSIUS KENNA
Cdg. 3rd Mounted Brigade
Died 30 August 1915
Age 53 years old
II. A. 1.
Turkey (including Gallipoli)
- Secondary Unit, Regiment and A.D.C. 21st (Empress of India's) Lancers
- Country of Service United Kingdom
- Awards Victoria Cross, Distinguished Service Order, Mentioned in Despatches
- Additional Info Husband of Angela Mary Kenna, of Trowle House, Trowbridge, Wilts. Served in the South African War.
- Personal Inscription ON WHOSE SOUL SWEET JESUS HAVE MERCY MAY HE REST IN PEACE
- Additional Citation note
An extract from the "London Gazette." dated 15th Nov., 1898, records the following:- "At the Battle of Khartoum, on 2nd September 1898, Captain P.A. Kenna assisted Major Crole Wyndham, of the same regiment, by taking him on his horse, behind the saddle (Major Wyndham's horse having been killed in the charge), thus enabling him to reach a place of safety; and after the charge of the 21st Lancers, Captain Kenna returned to assist Lieutenant de Montmorency, who was endeavouring to recover the body of second Lieutenant R.G. Grenfell."
Use our postcode search tool to discover more about the war dead from your local area and build a link to your local history.Use our postcode search