|Total identified casualties||1936 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Located near Longueval, France, Delville Wood Cemetery is the third largest cemetery in the Somme battlefield area. It is the final resting place of over 5,500 servicemen of the First World War, of whom more than 3,500 remain unidentified. Most of those buried died in July, August and September 1916.
Delville Wood, also known as Devil's Wood, was the scene of heavy fighting during the 1916 Battle of the Somme and again in 1918. The cemetery was created after the Armistice south of the wood, on the south side of the road from Longueval to Ginchy. Graves were brought there from surrounding battlefields and smaller cemeteries nearby.
- Delville Wood Cemetery is the third largest cemetery in the Somme battlefield area
- A site opposite the cemetery was chosen for the South African National Memorial
- The memorial was unveiled on 10 October 1926, by the widow of General Louis Botha
- The cemetery and memorial were designed by Sir Herbert Baker. Arthur James Scott Hutton was Assistant Architect and sculpture by Alfred Turner is also featured