|Total identified casualties||1546 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
Work on the Sir John Monash Centre, to be located at the Australian National Memorial near Villers-Bretonneux in the Somme, commenced in January 2016 and will continue through to the official opening of the Centre in April 2018. During this period, there may be short periods of disruption to visitors at the site and the adjacent CWGC Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery. As part of the works, the Australian National Memorial will be also cleaned and refurbished. This will necessitate at times limited access to the tower during the month of October 2017, including a two-day closure on the 18th, 19th. Over the winter months from 14 November 2017 through to mid-February 2018, a temporary scaffolding will be placed and the tower closed. However, visitors will still be able to visit the Villers-Bretonneux Cemetery and view the Commemorative Wall. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Rising from the road to a plateau overlooking Amiens, the Somme Valley and between the villages of Villers-Bretonneux and Fouilloy in France is Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery and the Australian National Memorial. Buried here are more than 2,100 servicemen of the First World War, of whom more than 600 remain unidentified. Also buried here are two New Zealand airmen from the Second World War.
Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery was made after the Armistice by bringing together graves from the surrounding battlefields and nearby burial grounds. Around two-thirds of those buried died in 1918, more than 400 in the Battle of Amiens.
- Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery in France was made after the Armistice when graves were brought in from other burial grounds and battlefields in the area
- A new museum, the Sir John Monash Centre, is due to open in 2018
- Within the cemetery stands the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial, the Australian national memorial
- The cemetery and the memorial were both designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens
- Construction of the memorial began in 1936 and it was dedicated by King George VI on 22 July 1938
- Every year on 25 April, an Anzac Day Dawn Service is conducted at the memorial