Reninghelst New Military Cemetery
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 798 Find these casualties
- Region West-Vlaanderen
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.81703, Longitude: 2.75991
Due to road works in the area, access to this cemetery may be difficult.
Reninghelst New Military Cemetery is located 9.5 Kms south west of Ieper (formerly Ypres) town centre, in the village of Reningelst (formerly Reninghelst), on a road leading from the N308 Poperingseweg. From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308), is reached via Elverdingsestraat then directly over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. On reaching the main crossroads in the village of Vlamertinge take the left hand turning onto the Bellestraat. After crossing the N38 Ieper Poperinge road, the village of Reningelst lies 6 Kms beyond Vlamertinge. On reaching the village, turn right onto the Zevekotestraatand continue to the Reningelstplein where the churchyard is clearly visible. The Baljuwstraat leads from the Reningelstplein and the cemetery is 500 metres along this road on the left hand side.
Visitors to this site should note a short grassed access path to this site, which is unsuitable for vehicles
The location or design of this site makes wheelchair access impossible.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number: 01628 507200
The village of Reninghelst (now Reningelst) was occupied by Commonwealth forces from the late autumn of 1914 to the end of the war and was sufficiently far from the front line to provide a suitable station for field ambulances. The earliest burials took place in the Churchyard, but in November 1915, the New Military Cemetery was opened. It remained in use until September 1918. There are now 798 Commonwealth burials of the First World War in the cemetery. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.