Essex Farm Cemetery
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 1102 Find these casualties
- Region West-Vlaanderen
- Identified casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.87138, Longitude: 2.87247
Due to the extended drought in 2022, parts of the Taxus Hedge surrounding the Cemetery were badly distressed.
We are currently monitoring the affected plants to see which ones start to show signs of re-growth in spring.
For the ones that will not re-grow, these will be left in place until Autumn 2023 when they will be removed and re-planted.
Boezinge is a village in the province of West Flanders, north of Ieper on the Diksmuidseweg road (N369). From the station turn left into M.Fochlaan and go to the roundabout, then turn right and continue to the next roundabout. Turn left and drive to the next roundabout and then turn right into Oude Veurnestraat. At the roundabout turn left onto the Diksmuidseweg, and follow the road under the motorway bridge; the Cemetery will be found on the right hand side of the road.
Wheelchair access to this cemetery is possible using the gate left, at the back of the cemetery. The gate is always open open and gives access to the graveled path leading to the cemetery.For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200
The land south of Essex Farm was used as a dressing station cemetery from April 1915 to August 1917. The burials were made without definite plan and some of the divisions which occupied this sector may be traced in almost every part of the cemetery, but the 49th (West Riding) Division buried their dead of 1915 in Plot I, and the 38th (Welsh) Division used Plot III in the autumn of 1916.
There are 1,200 servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in this cemetery. 103 of the burials are unidentified but special memorials commemorate 19 casualties known or believed to be buried among them.
The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.
It was in Essex Farm Cemetery that Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae of the Canadian Army Medical Corps wrote the poem ' In Flanders Fields' in May 1915.
The 49th Division Memorial is immediately behind the cemetery, on the canal bank.