Duhallow A.D.S. Cemetery
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 1374 Find these casualties
- Region West-Vlaanderen
- Identified casualties from First & Second World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.86395, Longitude: 2.87709
The Cemetery is located on the Diksmuidseweg, N369 road, in the direction of Boezinge. From Ieper station turn left into M.Fochlaan and go to the roundabout, turn right and go to the next roundabout. Here turn left and drive to the next roundabout, where you should turn right into Oude Veurnestraat. Take the second turning on the left which is the Diksmuidseweg. The cemetery is on the right hand side of the road just past the first turning on the right.
Wheelchair access to site possible, but may be by an alternative entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number 01628 507200.
Duhallow Advanced Dressing Station, believed to have been named after a southern Irish hunt, was a medical post 1.6 kilometres north of Ypres (now Ieper). The Cemetery was begun in July 1917, on the day of the Battle of Pilckem Ridge, and Plots I and IV were completed by November 1918. The graves of October and November 1918, are due to deaths in the 11th, 36th and 44th Casualty Clearing Stations. Of the 875 burials in the original Plots, 215 are those of Artillery officers and men and 77 those of Engineers. In Plot II, Row F, are buried 41 men of the 13th Company, Labour Corps, who were killed on the 9th January 1918 when a German aircraft dropped a bomb on an ammunition truck. After the Armistice, 633 bodies (of which 228 were not identified) were brought into this Cemetery from isolated graves and small Cemeteries on the battlefields North, East, and South of Ypres, including MALAKOFF FARM CEMETERY, Brielen, and FUSILIER WOOD CEMETERY, Hollebeke. Malakoff Farm Cemetery contained 33 British Graves (13 of which were those of men of the 1st/4th York and Lancaster Regt.) dating from April 1915 to July 1917. Fusilier Wood Cemetery (near the "Fusilier dug-out") contained 66 British graves and 1 Australian, dating from September 1917 to January 1918. Both these cemeteries were severely shelled in later fighting, and Duhallow A.D.S. Cemetery contains memorials to 10 soldiers buried at Malakoff Farm, and 29 buried at Fusilier Wood, whose graves were thus destroyed. Another memorial has been erected to a soldier of the Loyal North Lancashire Regt. who is believed to be buried in one of the graves marked as unknown.
There are now 1,544 Commonwealth casualties of the First World War buried or commemorated in this cemetery, 231 of the burials unidentified. There are also 57 war graves of other nationalities, mostly German, and one Commonwealth burial of the Second World War, which dates from the Allied withdrawal ahead of the German advance of May 1940.
The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.