Kilnaughton Military Cemetery, Kildalton And Oa, Isle Of Islay
- Country United Kingdom
- Total identified casualties 10 Find these casualties
- Region Argyllshire
- Casualties from First & Second World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 55.62891, Longitude: -6.21957
Kilnaughton Military Cemetery is 2 miles west of Port Ellen on the Island of Islay. From Port Ellen take the road to Bowmore (the A846). Just outside of Port Ellen, turn left at the Port Ellen Distillery onto a minor road (signposted to the Mull of Oa). Follow signs to the Mull of Oa and then turn left at the junction next to the new cemetery. Follow the road down to the coast and park at the beach next to Kilnaughton Old Churchyard. The Military Cemetery is located behind the old churchyard and can be reached by a footpath located between the old churchyard and the beach.
Please note, the ground leading to the military cemetery is uneven and contains many rabbit holes.
The cemetery was made in 1918 to bury the dead of the S.S. Tuscania, and 4 Commonwealth crewmen from that vessel are now buried here and 1 American soldier. 84 American graves, mainly of the 20th Engineers, who were passengers on the S.S. Tuscania, were later removed. There is 1 unidentified burial, lost in the S.S. Tuscania, here. There are a further 5 Commonwealth burials of the 1939-1945 war here.