St. Souplet British Cemetery
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 591 Find these casualties
- Region Nord
- Identified casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.05249, Longitude: 3.52364
St. Souplet is a village about 6 kilometres south of Le Cateau, which is a small town approximately 20 kilometres south-east of Cambrai. St Souplet British Cemetery lies to the south-west of the village after the village of St. Benin.
Wheelchair access to the cemetery is possible, but may be by an alternative entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.
St. Souplet village was captured by the American 30th Division on the 10th October 1918. The American troops made a cemetery of 371 American and seven British graves on the South-West side of the village, on the road to Vaux-Andigny. A smaller British cemetery was made alongside. The American graves were removed after the Armistice and the seven British graves were moved into the British cemetery. Further British graves were brought in from the surrounding battlefields and the following smaller burial grounds:- BOHAIN BRITISH CEMETERY at the South-East end of the village, behind the Hotel Dieu, contained 34 British, one American and eleven German graves Oct.-Nov. 1918). Bohain was taken by the 6th Division 9th Oct. 1918. CREVECOEUR-SUR-L'ESCAUT CHURCHYARD, contained 8 British and one Italian grave 1917-18, all buried by the enemy. ESTREES COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION (Aisne), contained 6 British graves from March 1918. FESMY CHURCHYARD, contained 18 British graves from 1914 and 1918, all buried by the enemy. Fesmy was defended by the 2nd Munsters August 1914 and captured by the 1st Northants November 1918. LANCHY CHURCHYARD FRENCH MILITARY EXTENSION, contained 3 British graves March 1918. L'EPINE-DE-DALLON MILITARY CEMETERY (or ST. QUENTIN-ROUPY ROAD GERMAN CEMETERY). MAROILLES COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, contained 6 British from Nov., 1918, and Nov., 1919, all buried by British. MONTBREHAIN COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, 6 British graves from 1917-18. NOYELLES-SUR-L'ESCAUT GERMAN CEMETERY, close to the Communal Cemetery, contained 10 British graves from May-Sept. 1917. OISY CHURCHYARD, contained one British grave from Aug. 1914. ORIGNY-STE. BENOITE GERMAN CEMETERY, at the South-East end of the village, contained 23 British graves from March-April 1918. OVILLERS OLD COMMUNAL CEMETERY, SOLESMES, contained 30 British graves of Oct.-Nov. 1918, buried by the 38th Division in the North-East corner. PREMONT COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, contained 22 British graves of 1917-18. ST. MARTIN MILITARY CEMETERY, ST. QUENTIN, a large cemetery of over 8,000 graves on the West side of the city, begun in 1914 and extended after the Armistice, contained 134 British graves. ST. SOUPLET COMMUNAL CEMEMTERY, contained 10 British graves of 1917-18. SAULZOIR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, contained one British grave of Nov., 1917 and 33 buried by the 4th Division Oct.-Nov. 1918. SOLRE-LE-CHATEAU COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, contained 7 British graves of 1918; two buried by Germans and five by British. TROISVILLES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, contained 18 British graves of Oct. 1918, made by British troops. URVILLERS MILITARY CEMETERY, a large Franco-German cemetery North of the village, contained 14 graves of the 14th (Light) Division, from March 1918. Urvillers was the scene of fighting in Aug. 1914 and March 1918. There are now nearly 750, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, one-fifth are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 55 soldiers from the United Kingdom, buried in other cemeteries, whose graves could not be found. The cemetery covers an area of 2,504 square metres and is enclosed by a stone rubble wall.