Highland Cemetery, Le Cateau
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 562 Find these casualties
- Region Nord
- Identified casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.08581, Longitude: 3.54791
Le Cateau is a small town about 19 kilometres south-east of Cambrai. Highland Cemetery is about 1 kilometre south of the town on the D12 road to Wassigny.
Wheelchair access is possible with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number 01628 507200.
After the Battle of Le Cateau (26 August 1914), the town remained in German hands until the middle of October 1918. The original cemetery (Plot III) was made by the 50th (Northumbrian) Division after the fighting of 17 October; the name of Highland Cemetery is suggestive at once of the comparatively high ground on which it stands and of the 32 graves of the 13th (Scottish Horse) Battalion, Black Watch, found in this plot. The cemetery was greatly enlarged after the Armistice when graves of October and November 1918 were brought in from isolated positions on all sides of Le Cateau. Highland Cemetery now contains 624 First World War burials. The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.