Dickebusch New Military Cemetery Extension
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 543 Find these casualties
- Region West-Vlaanderen
- Identified casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.81831, Longitude: 2.83238
From Ieper town centre the Dikkebusseweg (N375), is reached via Elverdingsestraat, straight over a roundabout onto J.Capronstraat (for 30 metres), then left along M.Fochlaan. Immediately after the train station, the first right hand turning is the Dikkebusseweg. On reaching the village of Dikkebus, the cemetery is located on the Kerkstraat, which is a small street turning left off the Dikkebusseweg. 200 metres along this street, and just beyond the village church, lies the cemetery.
Wheelchair access possible via main entrance.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number: 01628 507200.
The New Military Cemetery was begun in February 1915 (in succession to the Old Military Cemetery near the Church), and was used until May 1917 by neighbouring fighting units and field ambulances. The 31st (Alberta) Canadian Infantry Battalion erected a memorial in it to 22 of their numbers who fell in April 1916. A few further burials took place in March and April 1918. The Extension was used from May 1917 to January 1918.
The New Military Cemetery contains 624 First World War burials, including 8 unidentified. The Extension contains 547 including 5 unidentified. The two cemeteries are treated, so far as possible, as one. The Cross is placed in the Extension, opposite the entrance, and the War Stone by the roadside in the New Military Cemetery.
The site was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.