La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 349 Find these casualties
- Region Hainaut
- Identified casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.75293, Longitude: 2.86468
Due to recent weather conditions, this site is flooded and currently inaccessible to visitors.
La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery is located 10.5 Kms south of Ieper town centre on a road leading from the Rijselseweg (N365) which connects Ieper to Wijtschate, and on to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg. On reaching the town of Mesen the first right hand turning leads onto the Nieuwkerkestraat (N314). 2 Kms along the Nieuwkerkestraat lies the left hand turning onto Plus Douve. The cemetery lies 800 metres along the Plus Douves on the right hand side of the unsurfaced road beyond the farm. The unsurfaced road is used by Heavy Goods Vehicles to service the farm and should not be obstructed.
Wheelchair access to site possible - maybe by an alternative entrance.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Department on telephone number: 01628 634221
In the valley of the river Douve, north of Ploegsteert Wood, were two farms. La Petite Douve was the object of a successful raid by the 7th Canadian Infantry Battalion in November 1915 and La Plus Douve, which was generally within the Allied lines, was used at times as a battalion headquarters. It was also known as Ration Farm because battalion transport could approach it at night with rations. La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery was begun in April 1915 by the 48th (South Midland) Division and continued in use until May 1918, when it fell into German hands. The cemetery contains 336 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.