BUFFS ROAD CEMETERY
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 203 Find these casualties
- Region West-Vlaanderen
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.87637, Longitude: 2.91658
The cemetery is located to the North East of the town of Ieper. From the station turn left and drive along Fochlaan to the roundabout, turn right and go to the next roundabout. Here turn left into Haiglaan and drive to the next roundabout. Here turn right into Oude Veurnestraat, this then changes into Diksmuidseweg and Brugseweg. Drive along this road and continue straight over the traffic lights to the end of the road. At the T junction turn left (still Brugseweg) and continue along this road through the village of Sint-Jan (N313). Follow this road to the end. You come to the junction with the N38, straight across this junction into Hogeziekenweg. After 50 metres the road bends sharply to the left, the cemetery is approx 150 metres after the bend on the right hand side.
Wheelchair access possible via main entrance.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Department on telephone number: 01628 634221
Buffs Road was the name given to a small lane, which ran between Boundary Road and Admiral's Road, just to the north of the hamlet of Wieltje. The cemetery was made and used by fighting units (in particular by the 12th, 13th and 14th Royal Sussex and the Royal Artillery) between July 1917 and March 1918, and after the Armistice graves were brought into it (Row EE and part of Row B) from the battlefields and one British officer, who fell in 1915, was brought in from BRIELEN CHURCHYARD. There are now 289 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in the cemetery. 86 of the burials are unidentified and there are special memorials to ten casualties whose graves in the cemetery were destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery was designed by A.J.S. Hutton.