Plovdiv Central Cemetery
- Country Bulgaria
- Total identified casualties 56 Find these casualties
- Identified casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 42.148, Longitude: 24.765
Plovdiv is a city on the main road from Sofia to Istanbul. Plovdiv Central Cemetery is about 1 kilometre from the city centre, within the city limits, with the entrance being around 100 metres north from the crossroads of Bulevard Iztochen (route number 862) and Bulevard Maria Luiza. As you enter the main entrance to Plovdiv Central Cemetery, take the first turning on the right in front of the church. Continue and take the third road on the left. The Commission cemetery is located at the end of this road and is surrounded by a low brick wall.
Cemetery opening hours:
Daily from 8am to 8pm during Summer months (1st April to 30th September)
Daily from 8am to 5pm during Winter months (1st October to 31st March)
For further information or assistance, please contact email@example.com
The Commonwealth servicemen buried at Plovdiv Central Cemetery died either as prisoners of war or while serving with the occupying forces following the Bulgarian capitualtion in September 1918. It was formerly called Philippopolis (St. Archangel) Cemetery and was formed after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from the following sites :- Philippopolis Protestant Cemetery; Philippopolis Roman Catholic Cemetery; Karagatch Protestant Cemetery; Kostenecbanja British Cemetery; Kurtova Konare Civil Cemetery; Mustafa Pasha British Cemetery and Tatar Pazardzik Protestant Cemetery. The cemetery now contains 55 Commonwealth burials of the First World War.