Solesmes British Cemetery
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 138 Find these casualties
- Region Nord
- Identified casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.18179, Longitude: 3.48362
Solesmes is a town some 18 kilometres east of Cambrai, or 9 kilometres north-west of Le Cateau. Solesmes British Cemetery is on the south-west outskirts of the town, beside the road (D113) to Quievy, behind the old railway station.
The location or design of this site makes wheelchair access very difficult. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on email@example.com or 01628 507200.
The 2nd South Lancashires and the 1st Wiltshires (rearguard units of the 7th Brigade, 3rd Division) were attacked at Solesmes on the evening of 25 August 1914, as the British Expeditionary Force retreated from Mons. On 19-21 October 1918, the 62nd (West Riding) Division, followed by the 61st (South Midland) Division, captured and cleared the town after severe fighting in the streets.
Solesmes British Cemetery was begun by the 4th and 34th Casualty Clearing Stations in November 1918 and used by them until March 1919.
The cemetery contains 138 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, and two war graves of other nationalties.
The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.