Fricourt British Cemetery
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 132 Find these casualties
- Region Somme
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 49.99516, Longitude: 2.71149
Fricourt is a village in the Department of the Somme, approximately 5 kilometres east of Albert. Fricourt British Cemetery (Bray Road) is just south of the village, on the right hand side of the road to Bray-sur-Somme and on the north bank of a small stream.
This cemetery contains graves in which more than one casualty is buried and on which more than one headstone is erected. As each of the graves has a single grave number, it follows that the numbering of the grave will in some cases not correspond with the number of the headstone as determined by counting from the beginning of the row. Visitors should therefore examine the whole row if they do not at once find the grave in which they are interested.
Wheelchair access is possible with some difficulty.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries dept. on 01628 634221.
On 30 June 1916, Fricourt village was just within the German front line. It was attacked on 1 July by the 17th Division, and by the end of the day it was caught between that division to the west, the 21st to the north and the 7th to the south. the village was occupied by the 17th Division the following day. From 25 March 1918 to the following 26 August, Fricourt was again in German hands.
Two cemeteries were made by the 17th Division, and most of the dead buried in them belonged to that division.
Fricourt British Cemetery (Bray Road) was made by the 7th East Yorkshire Regiment between 5 and 11 July 1916. It was used until the end of October, and again (for four burials) in 1918.
The cemetery contains 133 burials and commemorations of the First World War. One of the burials is unidentified and a special memorial commemorates one casualty known to be buried in the cemetery whose grave could not be located.
Of the British burials 89 belong to the 7th Bn. Yorkshire Regiment, and 59 of these are in the two big graves in the middle of Row A. The cemetery also contains a granite monument erected by the 7th Yorkshire Regt. after the war (which replaced a wooden memorial) to their dead of the 1-14 July 1916.
The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.