Tranchee De Mecknes Cemetery, Aix-Noulette
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 197 Find these casualties
- Region Pas de Calais
- Identified casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.42533, Longitude: 2.73376
"Please be advised that the only road leading to the cemetery is a dirt road and can be difficult to access. We advise you to check the road conditions before visiting.
The cemetery is located between Aix-Noulette and Angres, about 16 kilometers north of Arras and 2 kilometers south-west of Bully-les-Mines. On the road from Arras to Bethune, turn right on the D51 towards Angres. Right after entering the city of Angres, take the first left, a dirt road. Then go straight ahead for about 1.5 kilometers, take the first right the cemetery is located at 550m on the right. "
Aix-Noulette is 16 kilometres north of Arras, about 2 kilometres south-west of Bully-les-Mines on the road from Arras to Bethune. Tranchee de Mecknes Cemetery is about 2 kilometres east of the village.
The cemetery is in the middle of fields and can only be accessed via farm tracks, which can be difficult to negotiate under bad weather conditions. The best track to use is the Chemin de Bully from the village of Angres.
Wheelchair access is possible with some difficulty.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries department on telephone number 01628 634221.
The cemetery was begun by French troops in May 1915. They named the trench, and consequently the cemetery, using the Arab name for the town of Mequinez in Morocco, from which they had come. The cemetery was taken over by British units in February 1916, and besides its present name it was called at times Pioneer Point, Mechanics Trench and Corons d'Aix.
There are now 199 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war commemorated in this site, 3 being unidentified and a special memorial is erected to one soldier from the United Kingdom whose grave cannot now be found. There are 171 French and 2 German burials here.
The British part of the cemetery covers an area of 1,129 square metres.