Beaulencourt British Cemetery, Ligny-Thilloy
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 427 Find these casualties
- Region Pas de Calais
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.07939, Longitude: 2.85385
Beaulencourt is a village on the RN17 south of Bapaume, a town 20 Kms south-south-west of Arras. On arrival at Beaulencourt from Bapaume, the Cemetery is indicated on the right, and then turn immediately right again. The Cemetery is 1 Km from this junction at the roadside on the right. This small road crosses the A1 autoroute.
Wheelchair access to this cemetery is possible with some difficulty.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number 01628 507200.
The cemetery was made originally by the 3rd, 4th, 43rd and 58th Casualty Clearing Stations, which were posted in Beaulencourt at different periods after the middle of September, 1918; and the burials from these hospitals are in Plot I, Rows A to D. It was greatly enlarged after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from the neighbouring battlefields and from certain other cemeteries, including:- BEAULENCOURT CHURCHYARD, in which two soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried by the enemy in 1918. BEAULENCOURT GERMAN CEMETERIES, one a little North of the village on the West side of the road to Bapaume, and another at the Southern exit of the village. These two cemeteries were used by German medical units in 1916 and 1918; and they contained, besides German graves, those of 50 soldiers from the United Kingdom and New Zealand, which have been removed partly to Beaulencourt British Cemetery, and partly to Favreuil. GREVILLERS GERMAN CEMETERY, on the road from Grevillers to Bihucourt, in which 500 German soldiers and 12 from the United Kingdom were buried by the Germans, and eleven New Zealand soldiers and one from the United Kingdom by their comrades in August, 1918. There are now over 700, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 300 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 21 soldiers from the United Kingdom known or believed to be buried among them. The cemetery covers an area of 2,917 square metres and is enclosed on three sides by a rubble wall.