DOUCHY-LES-AYETTE BRITISH CEMETERY
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 494 Find these casualties
- Region Pas de Calais
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.17523, Longitude: 2.72157
Ayette is a village some 13 kilometres south of Arras on the road to Amiens, and Douchy-les-Ayette is a village 1 kilometre west of Ayette. The British Cemetery is opposite the Communal Cemetery on the north side of the road, halfway between the two villages next to a barn.
Douchy-les-Ayette was in German occupation from October, 1914 to the 21st March, 1917. In March, 1918, the enemy advanced as far as the Communal Cemetery, and held it for a few days. The village was never completely evacuated by the inhabitants. It contained a German Cemetery of 380 graves, now removed.
The British Cemetery was begun in August and September, 1918, by the 3rd Division Burial Officer; and the 81 graves then made are scattered among eight Rows in what are now Plots II and IV. It was enlarged after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from the battlefields of Arras and the Ancre and from other burial grounds, including:-
BRASSERIE MILITARY CEMETERY, LE FERMONT, RIVIERE, on the Bretencourt-Wailly Road, begun by French troops, which contained the graves of ten soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in April, 1916, and one who fell in January, 1918.
FAVREUIL GERMAN CEMETERY, at the North-East corner of the village, contained the graves of 389 German soldiers and of four from the United Kingdom and one from Canada, buried by the enemy in 1916.
FREMICOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY, in which 20 German soldiers and two R.F.C. officers (who died in 1916 in a German hospital in the Church) were buried.
GASTINEAU FARM FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY, RANSART, on the Bellacourt-Berles road, in which one soldier from the United Kingdom was buried in February, 1916.
GOMIECOURT GERMAN CEMETERY, a little West of the village, in which 126 German soldiers and 27 from the United Kingdom were buried in 1916-18.
GROSVILLE CHURCHYARD, RIVIERE, in which two men of the Liverpool Scottish were buried by their comrades in February, 1916.
L'ALOUETTE FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY, RANSART, on the Bellacourt-Berles road, in which ten soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried by their comrades in 1916.
MORCHIES COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, containing the graves of 400 German soldiers, five Australian and one from the United Kingdom, who fell in 1916-17.
MOYENNEVILLE GERMAN CEMETERY (one of several in the Commune), in the South-West part of the village, in which eleven soldiers from the United Kingdom (including six R.F.C.) were buried by the enemy in 1916-17.
RANSART CHURCHYARD, in which one soldier from the United Kingdom was buried in March, 1917.
RANSART M.D.S. CEMETERY, in the village, where 12 soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried at the end of August, 1918.
SAPIGNIES GERMAN CEMETERY, in the South-West corner of the village, contained the graves of 28 soldiers from the United Kingdom (including two R.N.D.), who fell in 1916-18, and 840 German soldiers.
WAILLY MILITARY CEMETERY, at the North-East end of the village, contained 30 French graves and those of 23 men of the 55th Division who fell in 1916.
WILLOW ROAD CEMETERY, BOIRY-STE. RICTRUDE, in which 25 soldiers from the United Kingdom (largely of the Guards Division) were buried in 1918.
There are now over 700, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly one-third are unidentified and a special memorial is erected to an officer of the Lincolns believed to be buried among them.
Certain graves in Plot I, Row A and B, identified collectively but not individually, are marked by headstones bearing the additional words: "Buried near this spot...".
The Cemetery covers an area of 2,418 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall.