AVESNES-LE-SEC COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION
|Total identified casualties||110 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Avesnes-le-Sec is a village in the Department of the Nord, between Valenciennes and Cambrai. The Communal Cemetery is on the western edge of the village and the Extension is on the west side of the Communal Cemetery, about 75 metres back from the road.
The location or design of this site makes wheelchair access impossible. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.
The extension was made by the 51st (Highland) Division Burial Officer in November 1918. At the Armistice, it contained 100 burials dating from the period 12-26 October 1918, 46 of which were Seaforth Highlanders and 41 Gordon Highlanders. In 1928, a further 14 graves were brought in from St. Hilaire-sur-Helpe Churchyard and Louvignies-les-Quesnoy Churchyard. Avesnes-le-Sec Communal Cemetery Extension now contains 114 First World War burials. The extension was designed by W H Cowlishaw.