PERONNE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION
|Total identified casualties||1421 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
From Bapaume take the N17 to Peronne. On entering Peronne, turn right towards the hospital. On reaching the hospital, which will be on the right, take the small road opposite and the communal cemetery is at the end of this road on the left. The extension is on the south-west side of the cemetery.
Wheelchair access is possible. There is a car park for the use of visitors.
Peronne was taken by the German on 24 September 1914. On 18 March 1917, the 40th and 48th Divisions captured the town, but it was recovered by the Germans on the 23rd March 1918. It changed hands for the last time on 1 September 1918, when it was taken by the 2nd Australian Division The cemetery extension was begun by the 48th (South Midland) Division in March 1917, used by the Germans in 1918, and resumed by Australian units in September 1918. At the Armistice it contained 177 graves, now in Plots I and II. It was then enlarged when graves were brought in from the battlefields north and east of Peronne and from the following small cemeteries in the area:- AIZECOURT-LE-HAUT CHURCHYARD EXTENSION, which contained the graves of 18 soldiers from the United Kingdom and two from South Africa who fell in March 1918. CARTIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY AND GERMAN EXTENSION, which contained the graves of 5,250 German soldiers, two from the United Kingdom and one from Australia. COPSE TRENCH CEMETERY, ALLAINES, between Allaines and Moislains. Here were buried 64 soldiers from the United Kingdom (mainly 14th Black Watch and 12th Somerset Light Infantry) who fell in September 1918. DRIENCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY, on the South side of the village, made by the 74th (Yeomanry) Division in September 1918, and contained the graves of 20 soldiers from the United Kingdom. LIERAMONT COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, in which 63 soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried by the Germans in 1916-1918 and by the 58th (London) Division in September 1918. MADAME MILITARY CEMETERY, Clery-sur-Somme (the origin of this name is uncertain, but the Germans had a "Maidan Trench" opposite), near the road to Bouchavesnes, where 56 soldiers from the United Kingdom (mainly 33rd Division) were buried in January-March 1917 (Three of these were moved to Serre Road Cemetery No.2, Beaumont-Hamel, and 53 to Peronne). MOISLAINS BRITISH CEMETERY, a little South-West of the village, contained the graves of 54 soldiers of the 47th London) Division who fell in September 1918. MOISLAINS CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of three soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Canada. MOISLAINS GERMAN HOSPITAL CEMETERY, at the North-East end of the village, contained the graves of 38 soldiers of the Empire, who fell in 1917 and 1918, and 281 Germans. TEMPLEUX-LA-FOSSE GERMAN CEMETERY, on the East side of the village, contained the graves of 34 soldiers from the United Kingdom. Of these 33 were buried by their comrades in September 1918. VAUX WOOD BRITISH CEMETERY, VAUX-SUR-SOMME, within Eastern edge of the wood. Here were buried, in September 1918, 25 soldiers from the United Kingdom (mainly of the London Regiment). There are now 1,595 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in the extension. 224 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to seven casualties known or believed to be buried among them, and ten buried in other cemeteries whose graves could not be found. The extension also contains five Second World War burials. There are 97 German war graves, 68 being unidentified. The adjoining communal cemetery contains the grave of one airman of the First World War, killed in August 1914. The extension was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.