SYRA NEW BRITISH CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||67 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Syra is an island of the Cyclades. The Cemetery is in the town of Hermoupolis the capital of the Central Aegean Region. The cemetery address is 4 Taxiarhon Street, it is located just after the Orthodox Cemetery and the church of Agios Georgios on the left hand side on the road to Ano Syros.
The Cemetery is permanently open and may be visited at any time. For further information and enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Syra New British Cemetery was made in June 1921, to take the scattered Commonwealth war burials from the islands of the Cyclades. Graves were brought in from Amorghos (7); Antiparos(5); Ekinosa (9); Heraklia (26); Kassos (1); Ano Kouphonisia (1); French Consular Cemetery on Milo (Melos) (20); Naxos (2); Paros (1); Santorini (1); Skarpanto (Kerpe) (9); Stampalia (Astypalaa) (3); Syra British Consular Cemetery (12) and St. Trias Churchyard at Livadi, Zea (Keos) (1). More than half of the graves are those of men drowned when the Transport "Arcadian" was torpedoed and sunk on 15 April 1917 in the middle of this group of islands. There are now 111 First World War servicemen buried or commemorated in this cemetery. 45 of the burials are unidentified, but special memorials commemorate 11 casualties known to be buried among them. Three special memorials bear the names of casualties buried on Antiparos and Skarpanto whose graves had been washed away.