Private JOHN SIMPSON KIRKPATRICK
Service Number: 202
Regiment & Unit/Ship
Australian Army Medical Corps
3rd Field Amb.
Date of Death
Died 19 May 1915
Age 22 years old
Buried or commemorated at
I. F. 1.
Turkey (including Gallipoli)
- Country of Service Australian
- Awards Mentioned in Despatches
- Additional Info Son of Sarah Simpson Kirkpatrick, of 14, Bertram St., South Shields, Durham, England, and the late Robert Kirkpatrick. Private J S Kirkpatrick, served as Private John Simpson and became known as the "Man with the Donkey".
- Personal Inscription HE GAVE HIS LIFE THAT OTHERS MAY LIVE
- N.B. Simpson landed with the 3rd Australian Field Ambulance on 25 April and by the following day he was leading a donkey carrying lightly wounded from the front line down Monash and Shrapnel Valleys to the beach. In the first three weeks of the campaign he became a familiar sight, always cheerful and oblivious of danger. Simpson was killed on 19 May and was Mentioned in Despatches.